Found Pet Info
Things that should be done if you find a pet:
Have the pet scanned for a microchip at any veterinarian’s clinic, AARF, or check your local pet store to see if they can scan for a chip. Typically this is a free service. 

Post on that you found a pet. Include a photo. 

Report the found pet with Forsyth County Animal Services.  Forsyth Humane Society, or Animal Services (5570 Sturmer Park Cir., Winston-Salem, NC 27105). They keep a lost and found list. Check back frequently as it changes daily.
Post the pet on PawBoost of Winston-Salem, a free online lost and found service. Be sure your image is close-up and clear. When listing on PawBoost, provide some identifying marks on the animal so that the owner would recognize their pet, but leave out some details (such as an unusual marking, the color of the collar, etc). The idea is to leave out a detail that only the owner would know, to avoid theft by the wrong person. 
Post a picture to Petco Love Lost. 
Most local TV stations have an online bulletin board where lost and found pets can be listed, like Forsyth Humane Society, or Animal Services (5570 Sturmer Park Cir., Winston-Salem, NC 27105).   
Email info about the found animal to 
Check on Craigslist of Winston-Salem and other local areas. 
Post and distribute flyers with pictures at veterinary clinics, in your neighborhood, and at local adoption agencies. 
Ask your neighbors if they know the dog and if your neighborhood has a Facebook site - post there.. 

Post your lost pet on your Facebook site. 

Here are some other options:  
  • Guilford, Forsyth Pets Lost and Found Animals in Yadkin, 
  • Surry, Forsyth, and Wilkes Counties Lost and Found Pets Davidson County, NC 
  • Lost and Found Pets of North Carolina 
  • North Carolina Lost and Found Dogs 
  • LostMyDoggie 

BE WARY of people too eager to either claim a pet or to take in a pet if the owner is not found. If someone reaches out to claim the animal: 
  • Always ask for proof of ownership. 
  • Examples include: Photo of the pet Vet records with a description 
  • Meet in a public place with another person. 
You may also contact AARF at or (336) 768-PETS (7387). This is currently an answering machine. Leave a message with your contact information.
If you are unable to locate the owner, and can not safely contain the animal short-term then
call Forsyth County Sheriff's Office Animal Service Division 
Located at 5570 Sturmer Park Cir. Winston-Salem, NC 27105 in the Forsyth County Animal Shelter. 
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10:00 am until 6:00 pm Closed Sunday, Monday and holidays.               
The administrative offices can be reached by calling 336-703-2480, option 1 during normal business hours.
You can also contact them through email for animal related complaints or problems.